13 October 2005

iPod

iPod is a word i used to use with disgust. i would call the people who used iPods 'iPodders' or 'pod children'. i couldnt imagine how someone became so attached to their music that they would want to carry it around everywhere with them, shunning general human interaction in favor of their personal soundtrack.

you can probably guess what this is all leading up to. i have become an iPodder. and its crazy because i dont even like music. i have no idea about anything in the music industry after like 2001. i have bought less than 25 CDs in my lifetime (which look really silly in my 60CD changer). I'm just not a music person. when i am home i use the TV as background noise, when i am out i usually just enjoy the sounds of the city.

my taste in music is a little embarrassing. i really like motown and 90s pop/rnb songs. i like old reggae and older mainstream rap. the closest thing to 'cool' that i ever listen to is two-years-ago underground hip hop. so what i think i like most about my iPod is that i can be walking down the street listening to Marian Carey 'always be my baby' and noone would know it. its like an inside joke. no matter how i dress or seem to everyone else, i can be listening to the most dorky song ever written and loving it. its a simple pleasure.

what i dont like about using my iPod is how it blocks out the world. i dont realize when someone is addressing me, i cant talk on my cell phone at the same time. also, i cannot sing along with these corny songs i love. that has to be the worst part. so you can catch me iPoding it up for a while, then getting bored of it in about a week and only using the thing at the gym. Just dont ask what i'm listening to. i assure you, you dont want to know.

1 comment:

TamiRoxs said...

I am an iPodder too...I didn't realize till I had one of my own that soo many people have iPods. I'm starting to like it a lot too...I like downloading Podcasts so I can listen to the news because it's hard for me to keep up with it sometimes.